Offering price for an Apartment

1 Reply

Hello,

I know this questions seems a little too vague, but I'm new to researching apartments and have a potential 12 unit townhouse complex grossing 100k/year.  Rent increase possibiity is there to increase gross to $120-$130k/year.  My questions is very general in that, is there a particular multiplier of gross that should be applied to the gross to get a ballpark figure.  Like say 5 times gross would translate to an offer of $500,000.  I am more familiar with independent motels.  I understand area and rent market makes a difference too.  OR is offer price based on the net?  I'm just trying to get a rule of thumb figure.  Also on BP podcast I've heard of the 50% rule, does that include the debt service?

@Raj Vajir ,

Apartments are priced off of net income (NOI) and cap rate. Value=NOI/CAP.

NOI does not include debt service but includes all other expenses (management, maintenance, taxes, insurance, capex, etc.).

50% rule states that half of your gross rents would go to expenses hence your net income would we roughly 50% of gross rents. In reality it may be more than 50% depending on the property age, occupancy, and other factors ("all bills paid" have higher expense ratio than 50%).

CAP rate is derived from comparable sales. E.g. if you have 3 similar apartments sold for 8% cap, then yours is probably 8% as well.

Hope that helps

Nick

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.