Offering price for an Apartment

1 Reply

Hello,

I know this questions seems a little too vague, but I'm new to researching apartments and have a potential 12 unit townhouse complex grossing 100k/year.  Rent increase possibiity is there to increase gross to $120-$130k/year.  My questions is very general in that, is there a particular multiplier of gross that should be applied to the gross to get a ballpark figure.  Like say 5 times gross would translate to an offer of $500,000.  I am more familiar with independent motels.  I understand area and rent market makes a difference too.  OR is offer price based on the net?  I'm just trying to get a rule of thumb figure.  Also on BP podcast I've heard of the 50% rule, does that include the debt service?

@Raj Vajir ,

Apartments are priced off of net income (NOI) and cap rate. Value=NOI/CAP.

NOI does not include debt service but includes all other expenses (management, maintenance, taxes, insurance, capex, etc.).

50% rule states that half of your gross rents would go to expenses hence your net income would we roughly 50% of gross rents. In reality it may be more than 50% depending on the property age, occupancy, and other factors ("all bills paid" have higher expense ratio than 50%).

CAP rate is derived from comparable sales. E.g. if you have 3 similar apartments sold for 8% cap, then yours is probably 8% as well.

Hope that helps

Nick

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you