Indy SFHs vs Duplexes

3 Replies

Ok, rapid fire time (think this shall be fun). SFHs or Duplexes in the Indy market, your preferences and why. GO!

Only vaguely familiar with the Indy market, I have in-laws in the area.  In general I prefer multi's.  I get more units and better returns with easier management by having everything in one place.

Oh yes, Indy duplexes are fun!

On paper they DO look so sexy...but after a few months of owning one comes to realize that they are mostly money pits [IMHO].

I owned 22 doors at one point a few years ago.  All turn of the century built and [I thought] in decent shape.

Just the age alone of the structure can be a maintenance nightmare.  Then add in tenants that just flat don't care and the frequent vandalism - you've got a trip to the ER just waiting.

In addition, you will only be able to sell to another investor.  Unlike @Brandon Turner , no one actually "lives in one side and rents the other" here in the Midwest.

I eventually sold them all and have now a nice portfolio of SFH homes. Nothing older than 1945 and less than $700 rent for me.

Of course there are exceptions but overall, Indy duplexes can be a "challenge".

This is just my free advice [and it's worth every penny].

I hope that helps.

We've been converting doubles into single family homes.  

A 2/1 duplex is in VERY low demand...    But a 4 bed 2 bath single family house is in HIGH demand.  

Also, its good for neighborhoods. More SFR less cramped doubles.

Ive never understood why people think a duplex is supposed to provide a better return that a single.     2 words...   Diminishing returns.     

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here