Indy SFHs vs Duplexes

3 Replies

Ok, rapid fire time (think this shall be fun). SFHs or Duplexes in the Indy market, your preferences and why. GO!

Only vaguely familiar with the Indy market, I have in-laws in the area.  In general I prefer multi's.  I get more units and better returns with easier management by having everything in one place.

Oh yes, Indy duplexes are fun!

On paper they DO look so sexy...but after a few months of owning one comes to realize that they are mostly money pits [IMHO].

I owned 22 doors at one point a few years ago.  All turn of the century built and [I thought] in decent shape.

Just the age alone of the structure can be a maintenance nightmare.  Then add in tenants that just flat don't care and the frequent vandalism - you've got a trip to the ER just waiting.

In addition, you will only be able to sell to another investor.  Unlike @Brandon Turner , no one actually "lives in one side and rents the other" here in the Midwest.

I eventually sold them all and have now a nice portfolio of SFH homes. Nothing older than 1945 and less than $700 rent for me.

Of course there are exceptions but overall, Indy duplexes can be a "challenge".

This is just my free advice [and it's worth every penny].

I hope that helps.

We've been converting doubles into single family homes.  

A 2/1 duplex is in VERY low demand...    But a 4 bed 2 bath single family house is in HIGH demand.  

Also, its good for neighborhoods. More SFR less cramped doubles.

Ive never understood why people think a duplex is supposed to provide a better return that a single.     2 words...   Diminishing returns.     

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you