Newbie from Pasadena, CA

10 Replies

Hi all,

I'm Jason, I'm here in sunny, beautiful, cost-prohibitive SoCal. 

Been doing a lot of research here on BP and listening to podcasts during my commute. Over the last couple months I've been *obsessed* with REI and trying to create a better path to retirement and hopefully an exit strategy out of my 9-9 job. BP has been a fantastic resource to say the least!

Currently getting some financials in order in the next couple months before really getting my boots on the ground to find the right deals. At this point I'm looking into out-of-state, most likely TK (I'm already aware of the forum's distaste for TK, so don't yell at me) but I'm open to any other ideas, so please share!

Hoping to get at least 2-3 properties in my portfolio before the end of the year. Lately have been looking into TX, and although I know the market has been nuts lately, I am slightly biased towards areas that I wouldn't mind visiting. I figure the extra upfront cost is worth a nicer property in a nicer area so I can have nicer tenants, which will hopefully translate into less hassle. Plus Franklin's BBQ is on the bucket list.

I just want to say thanks to you all in advance for your shared thoughts and experiences. I look forward to being a bigger part of the BP community and to meet people in similar situations as me virtually and in person.

Cheers!

@Jason Chang

Hi and welcome to BP! I am an investor in out of state TK properties and thus far it has worked out great.

Welcome! Not far from me :)

HEY..........

welcome to BP,

this is probably the #1 website for all your real estate needs.

Cheers

@Jason Chang

Welcome. Fill in the foundation below.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 100 past ones to catch up on.

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers).

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good Luck

Paul

@Jason Chang

Welcome! This is an amazing site! Texas is a huge investment area here. I wish you the best.

Welcome to BP.  I invest in Texas and love the cash flow.  Good luck on your new career.

@Sebastia H., Account Closed Thanks Joe, how long have you been investing in TX and what cities?

Jason,

Welcome to BP!  

There are opportunities in EVERY market.  The key to success is properly analyzing a particular market and then implementing the proper strategy for that market.  People get into trouble when they use the wrong entrance/exit strategy in a market because they did not do their homework first.

I wish you the best of luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here