What is it like to sell a property on Craigslist?

1 Reply

I go on craigslist everyday to see if there are any properties that make sense to buy.

I really have no idea what its like to be on the side of someone trying to sell something through craigslist so I thought I would ask, what can I do to stand out from a typical buyer or how can I find a property that is a good deal that most people are skipping over? What do some buyers do that totally turn you off as a seller? I have no perspective from that side of the transaction and would appropriate any help/tips.

From a sellers prospective, You will attract every newbie wholesaler in existence.  Those with no money at all and worse yet no experience. If by some weird happenstance you do accept an offer, you will need to drag them along and then they will expect you to wait while they attempt to find a buyer. When 30 days is up they will back out because they have no buyers, no money and no credit.  Meanwhile you have wasted 30 days and are angry at wholesalers in general.

If you want to stand out don't make claims you cannot back up.  Don't say you have all cash unless you do.  Don't make offers unless you really intend to purchase the property whether you find a buyer or not (applies to wholesalers).  Don't make offers you cannot close even if you intend to wholesale.  Don't provide proof of funds from some guru you took a seminar from last weekend.

When I sell which is rare I will occasionally try selling for a few weeks via Craigslist and all it  seems to attract is newbies.  If you want to stand out sound professional know what you are talking about and don't try to purchase my property without even a driveby.  That screams newbie along with "I can give you all cash and close quick".  Really, and all you know bout the property is the address.  I love those calls about as much as I love telemarketer calls.

To Stand out:

Be prepared when you make your call.  Know what you are going to say.  Know what questions to ask and be prepared to answer questions the seller will ask you.

If you know the address driveby  before you call.  That will impress the seller that you took the time to look at the property and that you are likely a serious buyer.  

If you are making an all cash offer be prepared to show proof of funds from a bank or credit union.

If you have never filled out a contract practice before you go see the seller.  Don't expect them to teach you because they don't know how either.  Any promises you make keep; it will make you look good and it will impress your seller.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.