Creative Financing.......Where can I get $175,000 for down payment?

2 Replies

Hi All, I currently buy & hold 8 units.  There is an 8 unit building nearby (Southern NH) that I am interested in.  And, even if I don't buy that building, I am planning to purchase more units.

I have exhausted my resources buying my first 8 units. I have an equity line on my paid off house for 4 of the units and I use an FHA loan for the other 4 units. They all cash flow and I am pre-paying the mortgage with that cash to be free and clear in 15 years.

I don't have the 25% to put down.  And my mortgage broker tells me I can't use a portfolio lender or do hard money because they want more down or more equity in the purchase.

I know some people with deep pockets, I can ask them for a loan....chances are slim, but I'll ask.

Where else can I come up with $100-$200k?

Thanks for your answers.

Originally posted by @Ian Handel :

I know some people with deep pockets, I can ask them for a loan....chances are slim, but I'll ask.

I think a partnership is more likely to appeal to them rather than giving you a risky loan.  

Do you own 2 properties with 8 units is each unit a separate property.  If you have 2 properties and are still in the "expansion stage", I would not pay off your mortgages more quickly.  I would instead build up reserves and a down payment for another property.

Thanks for your reply.  I have 2 four unit buildings.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you