Florida!!

22 Replies

Central Florida is one of the best markets to rent. You can easily get anywhere between 12%-24% ROI here in Orlando. It's also a great market for rehabbing right now. Still have a lot of foreclosures but prices have risen really good. Are you thinking about investing in Orlando?

Check out Poinciana. I just took a client there on Tuesday and the rent market is crazy good there. New medical park, new resorts, new Sun Rail station coming through.. they've got it going on, and at a great price. 

Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL Metro Area

12.41% Change of Rents 2009-2014

9.48%   Change of income for renters 2009-2014

looks like a healthy market Check out the rest of the country

http://economistsoutlook.blogs.realtor.org/files/2015/03/NAR-Renter-Research-70-Metro-Areas.pdf

Originally posted by @Aaron Trommater:

Prices are climbing in FL, which is good for appreciation, but not great for buy and hold, because rents are not climbing, so your CF will be less. 

Rents are going through the roof in SW Florida. Advertise a property for rent. You should get 20+ calls the first day. I had people calling stating they would take the property sight unseen. This happened on more than one. I can only speak for SW Florida when I say rents are rising...and they are rising substantially.

Originally posted by @John Thedford :

Prices are climbing in FL, which is good for appreciation, but not great for buy and hold, because rents are not climbing, so your CF will be less. 

Rents are going through the roof in SW Florida. Advertise a property for rent. You should get 20+ calls the first day. I had people calling stating they would take the property sight unseen. This happened on more than one. I can only speak for SW Florida when I say rents are rising...and they are rising substantially.

I would not buy a property hoping to get rents through the roof. I buy knowing what the markets and surrounding area rents for. If the price is going up but market rents are not, then the margin is lower. 

I am interested in making a buy and hold investment in central Florida. Can one of the florida realtors on this thread reply with names of neighborhoods in Tampa or Orlando which are safe and good targets for such investment?  

Originally posted by @John Thedford :

@John Thedford,

I will be in the Naples area (Marco Island) next week, and will be evaluating investment opportunity, including vacation rental opportunities. My wife and I absolutely love that area of SW Florida. If there are accessible deals to you, let's connect.

Originally posted by @Steven Picker :

Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL Metro Area

12.41% Change of Rents 2009-2014

9.48%   Change of income for renters 2009-2014

looks like a healthy market Check out the rest of the country

http://economistsoutlook.blogs.realtor.org/files/2015/03/NAR-Renter-Research-70-Metro-Areas.pdf

What is average price of a foreclosure in this part of Florida?

Originally posted by @Amit Ramraz :

I am interested in making a buy and hold investment in central Florida. Can one of the florida realtors on this thread reply with names of neighborhoods in Tampa or Orlando which are safe and good targets for such investment?  

Realtors cannot steer potential buyers to any certain area. That is a violation of the code of ethics. Look at it like this: suppose someone said they want to live in a neighborhood with (x) ethnicity as the predominant inhabitants. If an agent says "go there...and STEERS the client to that area...that is a violation. Agents cannot recommend areas that MIGHT have lower crime either. They CAN possibly guide you to a website (such as the FDLE website or the local sheriff department's website) for you to research and determine what areas you might feel safest in. What if...you take an agents word that an area is safe...and your family became the victim of a violent crime. Who would you blame? If is your job as an investor to find the areas that suit YOUR taste...and then ask agents to help to locate property within a geographical area that meet your criteria. Now, if your paramaters are strictly "good targets for investment" then you can define what that means and see if an agent can help you locate potential investments that meet that criteria. Here's to your success!

Originally posted by @Erik Romzek :
Originally posted by @John Thedford:

@John Thedford,

I will be in the Naples area (Marco Island) next week, and will be evaluating investment opportunity, including vacation rental opportunities. My wife and I absolutely love that area of SW Florida. If there are accessible deals to you, let's connect.

I love Marco Island. It is one of a kind..and the true jewel on the Gulf. I lived there for years before moving to Naples and buying there. If you wish, send me a PM and I will be happy to connect with you. I am very bullish not only on Naples, the the state in general. Just saw a news story yesterday that stated Florida has overtaken NY state as the 3rd most populous state behind CA (1) and TX (2). With our mild winters, great quality of life, no state income taxes, and increasing job market it could result in a good strong market for the next few years. Don't let anyone tell you differently though: markets will fluctuate...and sooner or later our markets will drop in value. The key is to buy right and don't be over leveraged. Then, even when markets do shift, smart investors will be able to withstand the downturn until things turn around again.

@Trent Fisher

Florida is a great market for rentals as others have stated, just be cautious of purchasing into condos. Financing for them can get tricky with the foreclosures and too many investors buying into them. I would be on the safer side and invest in SFR or MFR if I were you.

I like the non transient rental opportunities in Marion County and surrounding.  Unlike Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Palm Beach where the turn over of renters is relatively high, along with the price of the properties itself, I prefer a more steady stream.  My stream is filled with 60+ year old couples in tidy small houses near retirement areas such as The Villages.  The rentals are in the 14-16% annual roi range with property management.  The cost of the houses are in the $40-$60,000 range.  These areas however do have their faults.  If your seeking short term rentals, forget it, stick with the hyper drive cities.  If you are looking for big appreciation there are coastal areas where that is possible, such as Naples, Marco Island, St Pete.  Me, I prefer my 2% appreciation and the reduced amount I have in rental vacancies and bad renters.      

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here