Hello BP crowd, and thank you for your help. I have access to roughly $500K private money that I've used for flipping in the past at higher interest rates. I'm considering using that money on longer terms for a buy/hold strategy. Here's the scenario/model:
1. Buy a four-plex and take a 10% private money loan to purchase/update the four-plex. Say, purchase for $160K, rehab $40K - total loan, $200K.
2. PITI + Capex (5%) + Repairs (5%) = $2050/m. Gross rents are $2800.
3. I keep 6month reserves ($12K) and end up with a cash flowing four-plex.
4. A year goes by and I want to refi out of private money into an 80% loan at a lower rate, thus increasing my cash flow, decreasing my risk.
The idea is that I use OPM to purchase, rehab and rent the property, and that I can obtain an income based appraisal after a year (assuming 680+ credit) to value it high enough for an 80% LTV refinance. I walk away with a good asset, having spent little or no money and am free to repeat.
Hoping to get feedback on the model?
@Don Nelson my only comment: Work w/ bank(s) and/or mortgage brokers now rathar than later to ensure you understand all of their underwriting requirements & how they would value the property. The goal: Not to be surprised by the bank/mortgage broker when you exercise your plan.
Thanks @Crystal Smith - Agreed. I am checking with lenders in the area. Seems like my little scheme may work, but worst case if the market changes, I should be able to sell it for a profit.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide
Sign up today to receive the popular eBook for free!