Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Dossey
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
If this isn't a redflag I don't know what is...

Ryan Dossey
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Posted Mar 24 2015, 07:30

We had a seller call us wanting to sell an A class home with tenants who wouldn't leave. He was elderly and claimed he just didn't know how to evict them. We dug into it a little bit more and it turns out that the "tenants" are his brother's kids. 

His brother who he holds POA for. Okay so that's a little weird. What's the situation with title? Brother quit claimed it to him "before" he got sick because he was going through bankruptcy. Weird but okay. He had notarized copies of the quit claim and deed. As well as a shoddy rent role for the kids.

We agreed to buy the home only once the kids were evicted. Gave him 3 months to do so and we even agreed to offer cash for keys/help with eviction if need be. 

He starts calling me once a day asking when he is going to get his money. Almost as if he forgot what our contract was and the conditions upon it. I told him each day again what we had agreed to and that he would have to be patient. 

He calls me yesterday to tell me that the court took away his POA and the house. He apparently took over POA and gave himself his brothers house. His kids took the "evil uncle" to court and got everything back as well as a lawsuit for 200k+

Loading replies...