What are some resources I can use to get a better understanding of the market in my area?

7 Replies

I've never bought a house, I do not know the market in my area (San Diego,Ca)

your local mls is the best. But if not just look at zillow and trulia

@Ralph Pena I don't have access to the MLS but is there a possible way for me to get access to it? or is Realtor.com a limited version of the MLS? I also heard that Zillow and Trulia could be inaccurate? What do you think? I should just start looking on those sites anyways lol. btw thank you for replying, I'm a total newbie!

i see. watch some of the bp youtube videos. Yes start with those sites. they aren't as accurate, but they're close.

Connect with np members in your area

@Stone Wilson

I say start with an agent who works with investors because they'll know what areas are hot. Best wishes :-)

Go to real estate meet ups in your area, network with everyone and anyone involved in real estate in your market. Also you can study the real estate being sold by investors and agents on Craigslist. 

Good luck!!! :) 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you