New Build Construction Costs Austin TX

2 Replies

Hello all, I am a young (21 y/o) investor from the Austin area looking to broaden my horizons. I have been buying and selling vacant lots for the past three years, and am finally (after the close of my last 2 properties next month) in a position to build a small investment house. I am looking to build a small 1338 Sq Ft three bed, two bath two story house in the lake way/hudson bend area. I am looking to keep this one pretty simple with stained concrete or tile (whichever is cheaper) with carpet in bedrooms and typical average finish out besides some granite counters. The Slab will only be 30x30 plus a carport, and water is available but will require a septic system. 

I know there are many factors such as topography, but I am looking to get an idea of what it may cost to build something like this on a flat lot from some of you experienced investors, and maybe even get some recommendations if any of you use a contractor. I am semi familiar with the process of building, but plan on using a contractor for my first few projects until I am comfortable doing the contracting.

Here are some photos of the plan I have in mind! All advice from experienced builders/investors will be greatly appreciated.

How much the building will cost depends a lot on how you plan to do the finish out and what costs you include.  In Lakeway you can probably get away with less swanky finish out than you can in 78704.  I'd figure around $100psf to $120psf is probably likely.

Ryan Haberer does a lot of projects in Lakeway.  If you PM me I can introduce you to him.  

Hey Bryan, I appreciate the reply! After posting I realized I had this posting in the wrong category so reposted in the right one... I will definitely keep your contact and may very well contact you after my properties close next month and I start really looking for a builder. I was kind of expecting the 100-110 range, but wanted to get some opinions from some of you with more experience. I have seen some posts about people building in the austin area for 70 per foot, but don't believe that would be possible unless it was a larger very plain house that was self contracted.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here