looking for a multifamily in the NW

7 Replies

Hi, I'm currently looking for my second multifamily in the NW. I bought my first in Central Oregon a few years ago and its cash flowing nicely. Now that prices have rebound I'm having trouble finding anything that could cash flow. I live in Seattle and would like it to be within a days drive, so Oregon or Washington. Does anyone have any advice for areas to look in or any other ideas/comments?

Thanks!

Eric

Any outskirts to big cities are doing quite well for multi-family. N. Snohomish, Pierce, Spokane Counties - Tri Cities, etc. Low vacancy, rising rents - worth checking them all out as they are within your drive range.

Hi Eric, 

I don't know specifically, but there are a lot of investors on here in the Portland Oregon area that may be able to give some suggestions as well as Seattle Washington. Hopefully the tags of these areas..... will have others jump in and give you some suggestions. Have you thought of living in one unit so you could get a lower rate and possibly less of a down payment? If you don't have an FHA you could go that route with only 3.5% or with a duplex primary and conventional financing you could put just 20% down instead of 25%.

Jerry Padilla, Lender in NY (#NMLS 1084877)
585-204-6923

Maybe Brookings, OR or Crescent City, CA?  I live in CC in a subsidized 55+ building.  CC has about 5,000 residents in town, and it's basically a blue collar tourist town.  Brookings is basically the same but larger and has a lot more charm.  Don't know about the market outside of just being someone who lives here.  I don't know the area well yet, but it seems like there would be limited housing compared to the population numbers.

Anyway, both communities are decent towns, and affordable.  Might be worth checking out.

Another town that seems to be doing well, but is under-rated, is Grants Pass, OR.  

Good luck.

I live in Grants Pass, and I can attest to the fact that it's a growing area. Real Estate prices have been going up, and it can be difficult to find a place where the numbers work for buy-and-hold. When appreciation is factored in, it gets much more attractive.

If you're interested in getting into this area, though, let me know - I'd love to chat.

Best wishes.

I see some cashflow deals in the tacoma area, also say something interesting in Goldbar last week:

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Gold-Bar/117-Croft-Ave-9...

Upon further inspection it looked like it had seen a fire... so I passed.  There were some interesting commercial properties I saw while driving 2, but probably not something that wouldn't be best as an owner occ type building.

I live in the dalles and may be willing to do some foot work for ya.  I would think the two primary areas in my region are the tri-cities and bend.

I live in the Tri-Cities, what size multi family and price range are you after? I get the Listings and have ran the numbers on several here locally. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.