HOA not meeting 50% owner occupied rule - issue with financing?

5 Replies

We are looking to bid on a townhome but found out that more than 50% is rented out. My mortgage broker says we will end up paying a lot more interest rate if that is the case. Is that true? 

We are under a tight deadline so any help would be much appreciated.

@Roy Mitle

Possibly true. Talk directly to the HOA manager. Speak with other lenders. Most lenders answer questions, but not always correctly. I have about 6 HOA properties.

Frank

I'm not sure about the rate changing but the HOA may have a limit of what percentage of units can be rentals. You should be able to request a copy of the associations by-laws and documents to check what their rules are on this.

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac based loans will not allow more than 40% or 50% of the HOA units to be rentals. Mortgage brokers can't set up the mortgage and then sell the note to the government.

Therefore , they have to find other bankers willing to buy the note. Most banks will not borrow on these.   Sometimes its more like a commercial loan with short 5 year term and higher interest rates. 

@Marc Jolicoeur that is correct Fannie and Freddie will not touch units with HOA's exceeding that percentage rentals. You will need to find a lender who will portfolio your loan or a private lender. Either way you will likely pay more interest.

Thanks for the inputs. Do you know how much more typically the rate is. I do plan to call some local brokers here but not sure if they give me accurate information.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you