Home to live in - SFH or Duplex

4 Replies

Hello,

I am looking at purchasing my first primary residence.  I am faced with two options.

1. Purchase a nice SFH nearby work and the kids school. Enjoy privacy, peace of mind.

2. Purchase a duplex (no quads in the area), have half the mortgage paid by tenant.

The pros and cons of each should be apparent.  It's really physical comfort vs. financial comfort as far as I can see.  Can anyone make any stellar arguments for either option?

How about have the tenant pay the whole mortgage and then some?

Or you could always buy a variety of SFH and MFH

I can in face not buy a variety of SFH and MFH. I can be approved for one primary residence home, which is where the split decision comes in. A few years down the line, I may be able to pick up additional investment properties with some cash saved up, right now, I'm looking at primary residence mortgage with zero money down.

I would buy a SFH that has opportunity for instant equity. There's one in decent condition in Statesville for 15k. It looks like it would only rent for 550-650 though but maybe more with some repairs. Looks like it might appraise for at least 40k after it is repaired.

I'm looking for something to live in. I can't rent out the SFH home that I'm living in, I can if it's a duplex, thus the predicament. No return on a SFH but better quality of living than a duplex with a tenant.

I am not targeting the Statesville area. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide