Paperwork -Now I've done it

4 Replies

Hello I have been listening to all the podcasts (in my car/office) but not said hello yet, i'm from Washington state, even heard Brandon in Poulsbo Wa (PODUNK WA) I have had a house under contract for some time now 6 years or so, when I paid the arrears I also took 6 months off to remodeled it , (never again, learned a ton though) I obtained it subject to existing mortgage, I sold it once Lease option, got it back, rented it out about three times, I repainted the inside (third time) last week put a FSBO sign in the yard and have sold it rent to own to a nice couple with $10,000 down and $140,000 sales price. ( I meet with them this Saturday) They have agreed to $1080 per month (I didn't say anything about interest rate but i think that is about 8%. I would love to make sure the paperwork is right this time (last time purchase/sale agreement from internet lol ) So looking for some help with paperwork (just a favorable purchase/sale agreement or lease option or rent to own ect. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Geno

@Brian Gibbons , thank you for pinging me on this.  Your words are too kind!  @Geno Godfrey , when I am the optionor/seller I do a completely separate lease and completely separate option to purchase.  The option is in effect only as long as the lease is performing.  I do not reference purchase credits in the lease (or 'purchase' in anyway), but the purchase price on the option can reduce by the amount of 'rent credit' over time. (i.e. a $200/mo purchase credit = $2400 price reduction EOY1, $4800 EOY2).    I also have the optionee/buyer record a 'memorandum of option' instead of the full option to purchase.  They are still protected, but all terms aren't broadcast to the world.  I am not an attorney, so I can't put pen to paper for you or share my contracts. If I were you, I would put together what I think I should use for a lease, and have an atty look at that.  I would put together what I think I want for my option & memorandum of option and have a 2nd atty look at those. Do not say 'rent to own'. Ever.  It's a lease with separate option to buy. The $10k is 'option consideration', not a 'down payment' (yet).   Now go forth and prosper!  

Washington Landlord Association also has this type of paperwork, and offers telephone help as needed.  I think the membership fees are well worth what they provide.  walandlord.com

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you