Do you make more money listing on MLS?

3 Replies

I can either FSBO, postlets, cl, or I can list on MLS. Am I going to be able to profit more using MLS? Or should I stick with my "off market" listings?

Wothout the MLS, maybe 80-90% of the buyers out there won't know about your property.

@Wayne Brooks thanks. That is my thought. We have several buyers where I don't have to even market most properties. But I know they have just been flipping my deals and putting them on MLS. Might as well cut out the middle man and make more!

From my experience, and what I've learned, not listing on the MLS is much more expensive.

Realistically, you're not going to save on the buying commission, since a lot of buyers still want to be represented, and that commission needs to come from somewhere. You also increase your risk, since you are now liable and responsible for more that can go wrong as an unrepresented seller. You're also likely to spend more listing FSBO than you might think, between advertising, your own time, and the dreaded holding costs. Finally, the type of people who look for off market properties are usually looking for a bargain.

You should be able to get a investor-rate listing commission at 1.5%ish (or just go through Redfin), which is still expensive for the number of hours put in, but that doesn't mean you could put in an equal number of hours without the MLS and get a similar result.

With all this in mind, if you have a buyer's list and a good attorney, maybe you really don't need to. The MLS doesn't help sell lease options or land contracts too much either from my observation, if you're going that route.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here