Would large trees prevent you from purchasing a rental?

5 Replies

I have seen several houses lately that would be good purchases. But, they have large trees that could pose future maintenance/costs to remove. By large I mean 4' diameter, 60'+ tall. Should this prevent a purchase, or would you take into account in your purchase price/reserves?

Thanks

Depends on how long you are planning to hold, the condition of the trees and how likely you think a storm is to take them out.  Here on the east coast, hurricane winds will bring one down, even several hours in from the coast.  So I would either factor in the cost to remove or at least have a comfort level that they will not cause future problems.  That at least is what I would do, but thats because I have seen 3-4 fall in a storm in one yard. 

Edit:  i just re-read to clarify. 4 foot diameter? Nothing good comes from that in my opinion.

@Shawn H.

More pressing than a potential toppling is your sewer line.  If any of the trees are in the front yard, you might have a problem.  I just bought a home with a 10'-15' diameter tree in the front yard right between the house and the meter at the curb.  The plumber just did a lot of work and said he thinks I'll need to replace the sewer line out to the street soon because of root damage.

I figured that was a possibility before I bought the house, but it wasn't a deal breaker.  Even a $2K-$4K repair wouldn't keep this from being a great deal.  Maybe in some cases, but I can't imagine $3K making too much difference in most deals.

EDIT: I'm having a tree removal service come out and give me an estimate on cutting it down next week.

Large trees and their large root systems can cause several problems.

They can fall over on the house or garage.

Their roots can destroy sewer lines.

Their roots can destroy driveways and sidewalks.

You can get a plumber with a camera to check the lines.  This would a very good investment and due diligence.

@James Wise is spot on, lost of things to consider about large tree's, but I wouldn't not buy a property just because it has a large tree, it would depend on factors like the ones James mentioned & if you can get some consideration from the seller for the tree.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.