Area in Houston has too many rentals ! Good or bad ?

3 Replies

Hello All, So I am back in the market due to my last deal not going threw due to much needed repairs and the price of home being too High.

Anyways,  So I been looking in a certain area in Houston and notice a large amount of homes being rented out. Is this a good thing or bad thing ? Should I go to a different area ?

What do you mean by massive? On the "pro" side, you should have an easier time renting there if tenants like the area. On the "con" side, however, for resale value, it may be lower, and your pool of buyers will be more limited, as owner-occupants may not want to rent in a high rental area.

Also for resale value, owner occupants take better care of their properties, so if tenant screening is weak or declining, that could affect the value of your home. I personally like about a 25/75% rental to OO ratio, but everyone is different.

Sharon Tzib, Re/Max Signature | [email protected] | 832‑745‑8657 | http://www.sharontzib.com | TX Agent # 653488

Sharon, Thanks for the advice. When I said massive I mean like large quantity of homes being rented out. Basically a lot of the homes I am finding are in the same close neighborhoods and seems like every street there's 2 or 3 homes being rented out.

If home values are lower due to more renters then it's probably a better place to own rental properties assuming you are going to buy and hold. As Sharon said though it could be tougher when it's the time to sell. Though a lot can change in 10 years+.

Medium wb logoKevin Wood CPA, WoodBaker LLC | [email protected] | 832‑444‑9284 | http://www.woodbakercompanies.com | TX Agent # 684674, TX Contractor # 000000 | Podcast Guest on Show #167

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you