Should i buy now or wait?

5 Replies

I'm in Regina, S.K.. The news is saying that the city I'm in and Winnipeg is priced too high and there "might" be a correction going to happen. I am renting at the moment but planning to househack first, and buy and hold. Should i wait for a year to realize the correction or am I just having analysis paralysis?

What's your historical annual average appreciation? Has that changed significantly? How is economy where you are?

You make your money going in so make sure you do that. Assume the market is going to correct. Now what would you offer on a home? Offer that. Assume the correction and press forward IMO. That way you are getting practice and avoiding the paralysis.

Thank you for the reply. I got lost thru the stream of forum. English is my second language and real estate is completely alien to me. I'm going to research on it asap!

Penggoy - totally agree with @Cathy Wells "You make your money going in ..." There are a few great deals in any type of market, and many more so-so to horrible deals. 

It can take a while to get everything ready to make a purchase. Perhaps start getting all your documents ready. SHOP for rates. Perhaps have a pre-approval letter ready. So, if you do see a GREAT deal, you can put an offer on it. Go to open houses. Talk to people. Learn how to recognize a great deal in your target areas. 

@Penggoy Unggoy undefined

@Penggoy Unggoy

The time to buy is always now.  If you wait you will miss deals.  Deals are found in every market at any given time.  The best time to start is now.  There will be no perfect time to act.  Take action.  6 months from now you will be living rent free and looking at a 2nd buy and hold.

I haven't been at the forum lately because i've been looking at houses and been busy scheduling viewing with my realtor. I've been noticing houses going down in prices and some new listings popping everywhere. I've heard from the podcasts to tell people what you are planning to do. I've been getting frustrated sometimes when they tell me I don't know what I'm putting myself through. At the end of the day I plug my ears and listen to the podcast again to drown the negativity.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you