Title searches that reveal liens

2 Replies

Hey all!  Trying to find a way to discover what liens are on my properties without having to have a title company run an expensive search on them.  I've tried a couple of the top ones like searchq.com and their sister company nextace.com but they do not cover Marion County.  

Thanks!

One way is to search the county records yourself...if you know what you're looking for. Sometimes the employees at the courthouse can tell you how to do the searches. You'll want to search the Land records, for deeds, mortgages, and UCC filings. You'll then want to check the district court records for any judgments against past and present owners. If there are any unexplained gaps in the chain of title (i.e.: Joe and Mary take title together but only Joe deeds out) you'll want to check divorce and probate records. Then you'll need to check for bankruptcies and federal liens, but I can't remember if those are available online without a paid subscription service.

Or, you can talk to a title company about just doing an "O&E" report (Ownership & Encumbrance). This will just show current ownership along with any open liens. These are usually pretty inexpensive ($50-$150) as they don't include insurance. Depends on how much your time is worth. The added bonus with this route is that if you end up buying the property and getting an Owner's Title Policy (VERY much recommended), they will often convert the O&E to a Title Insurance Commitment and credit the cost of the O&E toward the title insurance policy.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you