Hi BP Community:
Looking for proactive/preemptive ways to minimize the 50% rule to maximize your NOI on passive income properties. In previous podcasts, I've heard metering units, managing the property yourself, automated web-based rent collecting sites, etc. Just wanted to get some best-practices on one thread here and understand the cost/benefit for each.
I think the spirit of the 50% rule is one that suggests what can happen (likely) will happen. It forces investors to be a bit more disciplined about paying too much for a property. Look for deals and negotiate more. I would suggest it's a bit dangerous to say that "Good process and tools exempt me from a rule." This is in part because the really bad stuff will have nothing to do with you: Terrible tenants, natural disasters, CapEx surprises, etc.
All this being said, you should strive to do the best with your management and process, regardless. Here are a few that I think are innovative, and obviously depend on preference and market:
- Web based rent collection is a good easy win.
- Pet fees (@Brie Schmidt and others differentiate through renting to dog owners). These tenants stay a long time and pay a little extra for their pets. Maintenance is the obvious flip side to this.
- Renting additional parking spots (very popular in NYC).
- Depending on tenant class, self metering for additional services such as cable, internet, and even propane in the yard (grill season). Particularly A class tenants like these convenience type expenses.
Good luck, I am sure there are loads of other people with even better ideas.
Thanks Trevor. Much appreciated!
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
You must be a BiggerPockets member to post on the forums
Join the world's largest, most open Real Estate Investing Community online, 100% free forever!