First investment property - duplex with existing owner occupant

3 Replies

I am looking at my first investment property for a buy and hold rental. It is a duplex with the current owner as the occupant and their son as the tenant of the other unit. The parents are moving out. The son would like to stay. I don't know if there is any contract existing with him since he was a relative, but will find that out before we make an offer. What do I need to watch out for with this special circumstance? Any words of wisdom since this isn't the most common situation?

@Chip Clark

Close escrow and sign a new contract with son. You will probably want him out to start fresh. He probably wants to stay because the rent was cheap. Expect a couple month roller coaster ride when inheriting tenants.

Frank

Thanks. That is one of my biggest concerns with buying an occupied property.

One of my criteria was that a tenant can't use a relative as a reference.  So, if it was me, I'd tell them both sides must be vacated as a contingency of the sale.

Odds are good that the main reason they're selling this place, is because they have a Failure to Launch kid LOL.  Don't let them fob him off on you :-)

If for some reason you still want to consider letting him stay, then have him apply and meet all of your other criteria.  Odds are he won't qualify anyway.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide