Bandit sign in your own yard

6 Replies

Can you legally place a bandit sign in your own yard? Regardless of county/city codes? I get the it's my property constitutional argument. Just curious if anyone else has done this. 

Homes for sale/rent usually have a yard sign.  

Landscaping and construction professionals like to put signs up for their finished projects.  

As long as your county/city/HOA is ok with it, I don't see why not.

Originally posted by @Ryan Dossey :

Can you legally place a bandit sign in your own yard? Regardless of county/city codes? I get the it's my property constitutional argument. Just curious if anyone else has done this. 

"Regardless of county/city codes?"  No.  Definitely not.  Your county or city codes may or may not exempt your personal property (usually not, btw) but they are absolutely binding.

The "it's my property Constitutional argument" is crap.  There is no real argument there.

Here I thought this was a post about some scumbag putting signs on your property. I have had that happen to me. They made great extra weed block in the garden.

Adrian: That's my thought as well. 

Richard: C'mon that was the whole point of my disclosure. I'm aware that has been argued to death and beaten into the ground. 

Paul: I have had it happen on one of our rentals. I realize how the title could read that way now.

@Ryan Dossey it is probably spelled out in your local sign ordinance.  In my city, you can have one 12"x12" placard affixed to an exterior wall to signify a home office or home based business.  They are very commonly used by notaries or seamstresses.  It all depends on the specificity of your local sign ordinance(s).

Plus, if it's legal, it's technically not a "bandit sign!" ;-)

@Robert Leonard That's actually a really good idea and wouldn't look trashy like a bandit sign would. 

Touche on the "bandit" name.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.