Handling inspections/utilities when out of state?

Handling inspections/utilities when out of state?

Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2015 · 297 posts · 87 votes

Hello, I am curious how out of state investors handle things like having utilities turned on for inspections when someone must physically be there?

I currently invest in Ohio and have a deal pending. I had to turn on the utilities for the inspection and both the gas & water co require someone be there. Luckily, I have family close by that will help but I want to ramp up my purchases and hate to always be asking family. Eventually, I would like to also start investing in other states and would like a better system in places.

I have a management co there but the house won't be under contract with them until closed and rehabbed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! 

0Reply
9 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Henderson, NV · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 550 votes
    11y

    What about the real estate agent?

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2015 · 297 posts · 87 votes
    11y

    I've typically found that the price points of the houses I'm buying are so small that the agents don't tend to go out of their way to be helpful. Is this something the agent typically does?

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2015 · 297 posts · 87 votes
    11y
  • Real Estate Agent · Henderson, NV · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 550 votes
    11y

    Maybe you could work out a flat fee structure for this as additional compensation for extra services provided.

  • Real Estate Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2013 · 301 posts · 112 votes
    11y
    Honestly, you need a good partner, contractor or PM on the ground. I love locally and don't even visit the inspection - my guys show up, call me if anything is wrong and that's it.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.