I'm looking at purchasing my 1st rental property in the North Ward of Newark, specifically a duplex for 100k at most including rehab. It's been about a month now that I've put the word out to a broker and have come up with nothing to date, but there are two bigger issues I was hoping someone could lend some feedback on:
- I have received a pre-approval from the bank that holds my current mortgage, and I've been advised they require 25%. I was hoping for 20% as this puts me above what I was looking to spend and suggested a 401k loan which I am not interested in doing. Is taking a loan against a person's 401k really a good idea or common for people do do when buying property?
- My broker recently told me that deals at this price are rarely accepted on financing contingencies mainly due to appraisals. He says banks have become really strict on fixer uppers. I've read quite a bit on the forums of people buying houses in Newark with financing so I'm not sure if this is an 100% accurate and before I go and re-strategize I'd like to confirm this with some seasoned investors.
I am very interested in starting my investing career in Newark, but if there are this many barriers for me I may need to re-think things, which is fine (partner, save more, change locations etc.) Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
I agree with your Broker. I actually think you will have a hard time finding anything in Newark for the numbers you are working with. Particularly North Newark. At least not on the mls. What arv are you expecting your property to have?
And sorry I don't have much experience dealing with appraisals of as is properties.
ARV of 140k. I may not have the capital for this market and if so thats fine it just means back to the drawing board in terms of locations.
This post has been removed.
Hey guys! I see that you guys are dealing in north ward Newark. I am looking at a property there. It's a 5 unit (each 1 bed 1 bath) all rented out. Asking 275k. What do you guys think? Cash flow is 30k a year.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide
Sign up today to receive the popular eBook for free!