Financing and Holding Multiple SFRs

2 Replies

Hi,

I had a question about financing and acquiring multiple SFRs as buy and holds. Currently we (Me + Wife) own two properties. One of them is our primary residence and both of us are on the loan for the property. The second property is a Multi Family and only I am on the loan for the second property.

We have been offered a portfolio of SFR properties and plan to buy 5 of them as buy and hold rentals. The numbers are such that all of these properties will cash flow. We are in a position to put 25-30% down on these properties and cover their monthly payments when the property is vacant.

I wanted to know what the best way of financing these properties would be. We plan to buy another primary residence in about 18 months and convert our current home into a buy and hold rental.

I have been told that there can only be 4 FHA backed loans per borrower. I am assuming I have 2 loans according to this count and my wife has 1. Here are some options that come to my mind.

• Separate loans for each of the 4 properties: If we finance 3 of these in my wifes name and 2 in my name, then will we hit a roadblock 18 months from now when we want to buy our primary residence.
  • Business or Portfolio Loan: Get a business loan on these 5 properties like @Himanshu Jain talked about in a podcast, with the option of selling of these properties individually if needed.
  • SDIRA: I am not sure what it takes to set this up and how this is going to help us. Just putting it in here for discussion.
  • Any Other Suggestions:

Thanks

Originally posted by @Anuraag M.:

Hi,

I had a question about financing and acquiring multiple SFRs as buy and holds. Currently we (Me + Wife) own two properties. One of them is our primary residence and both of us are on the loan for the property. The second property is a Multi Family and only I am on the loan for the second property.

We have been offered a portfolio of SFR properties and plan to buy 5 of them as buy and hold rentals. The numbers are such that all of these properties will cash flow. We are in a position to put 25-30% down on these properties and cover their monthly payments when the property is vacant.

I wanted to know what the best way of financing these properties would be. We plan to buy another primary residence in about 18 months and convert our current home into a buy and hold rental.

I have been told that there can only be 4 FHA backed loans per borrower. I am assuming I have 2 loans according to this count and my wife has 1. Here are some options that come to my mind.

• Separate loans for each of the 4 properties: If we finance 3 of these in my wifes name and 2 in my name, then will we hit a roadblock 18 months from now when we want to buy our primary residence.
    • Business or Portfolio Loan: Get a business loan on these 5 properties like @Himanshu Jain talked about in a podcast, with the option of selling of these properties individually if needed.
    • SDIRA: I am not sure what it takes to set this up and how this is going to help us. Just putting it in here for discussion.
    • Any Other Suggestions:

Thanks

When I say FHA backed home, I mean conventional mortgage loans.

What did you do, Im interested to know

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
    • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
    • Learn how to get started with or without money,
    • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
    • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here