Most dangerous neighborhoods in America

64 Replies

Just read an article on this and thought it would be interesting to share. 

1. North and Northeast Auburn Gresham (Chicago IL)

Zip code 60620

2. Washington Park (Chicago IL)

Zip code 60637

3. Northeast of East Atherton and South Dort Highway (Flint, MI)

Zip code 48507

4. North Lawndale (Chicago IL)

Zip code 60623

5. Woodside (Greenville, SC)

Zip code 29611

6. Columbus Square (St. Louis, MO)

Zip codes 63106, 63102, 63101

7. Joyland (Atlanta, GA)

Zip code 30315

8. Gaston Park and Downtown Memphis (Memphis, TN)

Zip code 38126

9. North Indianapolis (Indianapolis, IN)

Zip code 46208

10. North Avenue and Bel Air Road (Baltimore, MD)

Zip code 21213

11. Islandview (Detroit, MI)

Zip code 48207

12. Sunnyside (Houston, TX)

Zip code 77051

13. Harlem near St. Nicolas and 125th (New York)

Zip code 10027

14. Southeast Cathedral District (Saginaw, MI)

Zip code 48601

15. Northeast of East Broadway and Ingram (West Memphis, AR)

Zip code 72301

16. Northwest Springdale (Tulsa, OK)

Zip codes 74106, 74110

17. Fountain Park (St. Louis, MO)

Zip codes 63113, 63108

18. East of Barton and McFarland (Detroit, MI)

Zip code 48209

Residents of these cities, do you agree with this list?

Joyland Atlanta.

Yeah some streets down there are real crap holes. There are a bunch of areas close to Atlanta where you would be better off scraping the land and starting over. It's like a third world country on some streets. You know it's bad when the cops stay away from certain streets to go down.

Luckily I do not go down to Atlanta very often................. : )

I am a burbs person born and raised. Nice country air, plenty of land, and low crime. 

I can only speak to Milwaukee which I where I have lived all my life and I would say the worst neighborhoods are Metcalfe Park and Borchert Field.  

Although, I have driven through the south side of Chicago and it ain't no picnic. In fact, it is absolutely awful.  I think I remember reading that last 4th of July weekend in Chicago that 80 people were shot.  80 people in 1 city shot over like 3 days.  That's insanity.  

@Dawn Anastasi Thank you very much for posting this data - quite interesting!

In the context of Indianapolis, it also highlights specifically how one cannot rely simply on a zip code when looking for properties.

The data mentions that North Indianapolis (specifically 46208 zip code) is the #9 most dangerous.  Yes, indeed certain parts of that zip code are quite violent!  However, there are also some excellent neighborhoods (e.g. Butler-Tarkington) and also some absolutely stunning mansions in that same exact zip code.  Listings above $1 million are not uncommon.

I just checked and found one in 46208.  This property (actually more like a mansion) is an active listing at 5430 N Meridian St and is in the 46208 zip code referenced.  This property is listed at $1,100,000.  Just for reference purposes, below is a link to the listing.

Any other cities have this similar dynamic?

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5430-N-Meridian-St-Indianapolis-IN-46208/1246450_zpid/

@Matthew Schroeder I agree you really have to look neighborhood by neighborhood, subdivision by subdivision in all Cities/States.  Because the difference in safety & price can be very dramatic within just a few miles range.  

I live in Lorton VA a very pricey suburb of DC Metro area. I was born in Indianapolis and have lots of family there, so I am modifying my business plan to include out-of-state investing in Indianapolis. The 46218 area code has highly distressed/low priced properties but you really have to study which neighborhoods are established low-middle income blue collar and which are serious war zone.

Originally posted by @James Wise :

Looks like Chicago is catching up to Detroit in number of bad neighborhoods.

Interesting stuff.

Chicago went zipping past us! 3 of the top four in Chicago.

Detroit's worst ranks way down at #11! 

I guess your strategy of spreading the bodies around in Cleveland is working to keep Cleveland neighborhoods off the list is working. Good idea, Chicago should try that.

Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi :

Just read an article on this and thought it would be interesting to share. 

1. North and Northeast Auburn Gresham (Chicago IL)

Zip code 60620

2. Washington Park (Chicago IL)

Zip code 60637

3. Northeast of East Atherton and South Dort Highway (Flint, MI)

Zip code 48507

4. North Lawndale (Chicago IL)

Zip code 60623

5. Woodside (Greenville, SC)

Zip code 29611...

Interesting list can you post the link?

Originally posted by @Richard Dunlop :
Originally posted by @James Wise:

Interesting stuff.

I guess your strategy of spreading the bodies around in Cleveland is working to keep Cleveland neighborhoods off the list is working. Good idea, Chicago should try that.

I love looking on the bright side!

Not sure how they arrived at 3 neighborhoods in Chicago less dangerous then Detroit's? I've travelled through both of South Chicago and Detroit east side extensively (guess I had a death wish), and South Chicago does not even pale in comparison to Detroit! 

Originally posted by @Mark Shaffar :
Originally posted by @Richard Dunlop:
Originally posted by @James Wise:

Interesting stuff.

I love looking on the bright side!

I'm just worried about losing the respect I get by living in the most dangerous city.

Ive had a couple of houses in 30315.  Not sure where Joyland is, but "most dangerous in America" doesn't fit what I know in that zip.  Its not exactly nice, but I've been down there plenty and never felt threatened.  Did move a tenant into a house years ago and they got robbed the first day in the middle of the afternoon and nobody saw a thing, even though there's always people hanging out outside in that neighborhood.

They did an Article on East Point here being one of the 10 most dangerous cities in America, too and I own one there and just dont see it. 

What do I know, though, I'm like Joel, I like the 'burbs.  Not like I'm down there hanging out in those areas after dark.

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

@Dawn Anastasi 

I disagree with 46208. Could you please provide the article with which you found this information. I would like to see who put this study together and how they came to their assumption. 

When I did a Google search, I actually found several articles about "most dangerous neighborhoods in America".  So I think this topic can be open to debate.

Likes article

Neighborhood Scout article

Daily Finance article

Black Enterprise article

Arrest Records article

Xfinity article

What is in common is that they all seem to be taking their information from crime statistics.

@Dawn Anastasi :

Residents of these cities, do you agree with this list?

It would be great if you could post the article.  Regarding Chicago, using zip codes for decisions on what's safe & not safe can be misleading when it comes to investing in real estate.  I know this has been said over & over on this forum & others, it's a block by block decision in Auburn Gresham, Washington Park & North Lawndale.  We've invested in Auburn Gresham & Washington Park.

I guess nice sounding names don’t do much for a neighborhood:

Woodside (Greenville, SC

Joyland (Atlanta, GA)

Fountain Park (St. Louis, MO)

Northwest Springdale (Tulsa, OK)

Southeast Cathedral District (Saginaw, MI)

Sunnyside (Houston, TX)

Islandview (Detroit, MI)

@Dawn Anastasi

Thank you for posting the articles. I agree with you that this is debatable. 

Just for clarification there is only 1 article that calls out Indianapolis. All the rest of them do not indicate Indianapolis. 

As @Matthew Schroeder has indicated that Indianapolis cannot be put into a zip code. It is a street by street basis. Which I found to be true in a lot of different cities. 

46208 may have a section of it that is not the best but as far as it being the worst in America according to the, likes article, is a false and inaccurate. There are good neighborhoods in this zip code with great people that live in it. 

The City of Indianapolis and the police department are working with local communities throughout Indy to clean up the neighborhoods that are not so good. 

The Indianapolis Children's museum is located in this zip code and it is ranked one of best museums in the US. 

http://www.parents.com/fun/vacation/us-destination...

So if this is one of the most dangerous zip codes in America then why would parents be  bringing their children here? 

Dawn, please do not take anything that I said as directed at you. I know you are just the messenger. It's the article I disagree with. 

Hello,

There is a bad neighborhood in every state. It all depend on ones security threshold. Ones financial situation will determine their place of residency. Some people do not mind living in a bad neighborhood because that what they can afford.

@Account Closed

Meridian is the road that goes straight up to Kokomo right ?  I love that road the homes along there are magnificent mansions.. its one of the bright points of my trips to indy and kokomo is checking out those houses.. and thinking in our area they would be 5 million plus. and or just not replaceable at any price.

there was a 60 minutes piece on one city in NJ maybe Trenton or some were that was really off the charts on crime.. and none of these place's have anything on some of the very worst in CA... Like parts of Oakland... Compton  Watts.. etc.

its just subject,  I have also been to were Obama's CHI house is and that's not what I consider a war zone by any means... but like we all know some of these really large older mid west cities are block to block.. some blocks will get better with a lot of rehab others just decay..

Detroit is special in that there is just such a surplus of housing that is literally abandoned and home to the lowest denominator in the US..

You should see our war zones here in Portlandia  filled with milliniums who were body art and tattoo's and eat health food and ... I don't think we get 80 shooting in a year much less a weekend.... And the housing in our so called hood goes for 200 to 600k... its inner city that's were the hipsters want to live now...   Same with what we do in Charleston what would look like 10k houses in those close into down town areas are now selling for 150k as is and 400  to 600 when they are done.. and many sitting right next to a an old dilapidated home.   these areas are going the other way.