What to do with this small room?

12 Replies

I am interested in putting an offer on a house in an good neighborhood.  The only thing I am not sure with is an small room attached to the master bedroom.  It is about 8 by 8 and without a window.  It is marketed as a 'study', with builtin shelves, desk and a french door opening to the master suite.  My question is, does it technically qualify for a study?  Do you guys think this is a good design that is acceptable to the general buyers?

It is not possible to add a window to the room, as the walls are all interior.

Thanks so much for your comments!

Walk in closet ?? 8x8 size would be great imo. Also couples with small kids could use it as a year 1 nursery. See if you can open a wall and make a bigger kitchen or another room, whatever is next to it and makes sense. D

@William C. Post a pic.  Unless the built-ins are jaw dropping nice, I'd consider pulling the book shelves out and leaving it empty.  That way it is ready for whatever the owner wants to do with it.  The obvious thing would be to convert it into a walk-in closet.  But I wouldn't necessarily build it out for them.  You could suggest the idea by staging it with a standing coat rack and maybe a shoe organizer.

Can you make the 8x8 room a closet?

yep, 8x8 would make a great walk-in closet. Put an inexpensive little crystal chandelier from overstock.com in there and watch the ladies squeal with delight ;)

Thanks for all the advice!  Looks like converting it to a closet is an idea.  The master suite already has a pretty decent size closet.  I am not sure how much value it will add to the house if I add an additional closet.  I am mainly concerned with whether it is ok to market as an office.  The house does not have a formal study besides this one.

Pictures can be deceiving but that looks pretty nice to me.  It certainly not an eyesore.  I'd just leave it.  It would be simple enough for the new owners to gut it if they wanted an open closet.  Or they could just install a clothing rack and use the desk and shelves for storage.

I think that's a cool space! I sure wouldn't mess with the panelling. I do think you could probably market it as an office, but it's a bit weird that it is off the bedroom- not really an office that you could do business out of if it required anyone coming to meet with you... I'm not sure how you could clarify that to potential buyers ("office nook off of bedroom" maybe?) 

So , it makes me convinced to double down on my opinion about the closet. I don't know what your price point is on the house, but being able advertise "luxury master with his & her walk-in closets" is  huge- just ask any selling agent. As @Larry T. mentioned, photos can be deceiving but it doesn't look like you'd be facing a major change at all - just a few hanging racks, mirrors and lighting. A quick google image search found this example, and you can find many more for ideas- the fancy closet thing has been big in the design world for a while now, and it's like crack for some women!

@Jean Bolger

I agree with you that it is a little weird to market it as a study, although that's what the seller is doing now.  I am considering converting a formal living room to a real study (adding french doors etc.) anyway.  I think marketing his and her walk-in closets is a great idea.  I hope it would be a selling point for the house and increase potential buy interests.  

Originally posted by @Larry T. :

@William C. Post a pic.  Unless the built-ins are jaw dropping nice, I'd consider pulling the book shelves out and leaving it empty.  That way it is ready for whatever the owner wants to do with it.  The obvious thing would be to convert it into a walk-in closet.  But I wouldn't necessarily build it out for them.  You could suggest the idea by staging it with a standing coat rack and maybe a shoe organizer.

Love this idea. Leave it open for them to do whatever they want with it, but the closet idea is a no-brainer.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.