Does age affect a buy?

2 Replies

hello all, I am in wholesale just starting out and I'm a little nervous.. Not about when investors are normally nervous about, however.  I am nervous about my age.  I am only 20 years old and I am concerned that when I either meet with a seller, or take a walk through on the property, that I will not be taken seriously and the homeowner will not even entertain my offer.  Is this fear justified, or is it all in my head? Will the owner really care to take me seriously if a 20 year old is making an offer on their house?  Any advice as well as personal stories would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Ryan, I have never wholesaled YET but in my opinion YES age CAN be an issue if you carry yourself as such. First things first, if you are a business man act like it. Find your weakness and work on it, i.e.  public speaking, sales pitches and understanding YOUR numbers and reasoning for those numbers. Be transparent, not politician transparent but business transparent. 

Let them know your intentions and if they pull the , "You look young, how long have you been in business?" stuff than prepare a rebuttal before. Tell them what you are in a professional manner. Most adults will/should respect a young business man if they carry themselves properly. THINK ABOUT IT BROTHER...most people where drinking beer in a college confusion at your age so if you're a go getter/ not a dipshit they will respect you for it....this DOES NOT mean they will sell to you because thats a whole different ball game. 

FYI this is coming from a man who opened a roofing business in South Florida at 22. I had to sell myself and most of my customers loved the fact that I knew what I was talking about, did what I said I would and they would cut me that check with a smile!!! Good luck!!

Rich, thank you so much for the straight forward and honest answer, also the bits of motivation throughout and advice! I appreciate it. 

Ryan 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here