We currently have been in the RE business since 1999 and now have over 170 mixed use units. We also have been extremely aggressive on paying off our debt and now own several properties free and clear. This proves to be extremely valuable in increasing our portfolio through leveraging equity with new loans.
However, as we approach the 20 year anniversary on some properties and getting toward the back end of available depreciation, i am still struggling on what is the best approach from a tax standpoint.
- We would prefer to keep these properties as they have excellent cash flow.
- Some have suggested to take out a loan, however this is troubling to me as we dont need the $$.
- 1031 exchange is an option, but finding another property is a problem.
Does anyone know a good attorney/tax advisor in PA that has experience with large real estate holdings?
Have you considered selling some of the properties on a land contract (contract for deed) to another investor? This could continue the income stream for several years (as long as you wish to write the contract for) and soften the taxes for the sale. You would be responsible for taxes on the principal as you receive it. The buyer would also be responsible for maintenance, taxes, insurance, etc. Of course, depending on the interest rate you charge the buyer may choose to refinance and pay off the land contract early.
I would only do this for another investor and specify (in many places in the paperwork) that this is an income property. You could run into problems with Dodd-Frank and the CFPB if you do this for an owner occupant.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
You must be a BiggerPockets member to post on the forums
Join the world's largest, most open Real Estate Investing Community online, 100% free forever!