Partnership buying question

3 Replies

I am starting a partnership with a friend where he found the deal and will do the work, while I put up all the money. The issue is he has to initially buy it in his name because he is doing a shortsale. How do I protect myself between the time the deed goes in his name, and the time he quit claims it to the LLC we created with an Operatinf Agreement which acknowledges my captial contribution? Do i need an interim partnership agreement which says I own 50% of the property until it is put in out LLC? Or should I record a temporary note and mortgage with my partner?

I highly recommend you seek the correct legal representation for yourself in this project. I am 99% sure you need it.

Originally posted by @Chris Martin :

I highly recommend you seek the correct legal representation for yourself in this project. I am 99% sure you need it.

I agree with Chris 100%. Never get involved in any partnership without discussing the details with your attorney. If you do not have one...get one.

Is your friend experienced in this sort of work?  If so, what is his time frame?  Make sure he is capable of doing the work in a specified time frame.  Make sure you have control over the project at all times. (your attorney can help here)  You want to have the ability to remove him from the partnership if he does not perform.  Otherwise, if he looses interest, and walks away. (he can since he has no skin in the game)  You are dead in the water without the proper protection.

This can be a profitable proposition, or a very dangerous one.  My first deal was very similar, and I lost $40,000 on it because of those same mistakes.

Good luck!

I think all legal matters should be brought and consulted with an attorney, stop trying to be attorneys when you are not and honestly you really need their help for things like this

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you