Do you have to disclose creeps?

5 Replies

I was completely unaware that there was a subculture of property-molesters at large!

WOW that is creepy! Were the sellers obligated to disclose though, I wouldn't think so?

That is "puts the lotion on the skin" creepy!!

I don't know if you have to disclose. It isn't a material defect. It seems like it would fall into the Unfairly Stigmatizing a Property realm. In CO, we are not required to disclose information that would unfairly stigmatize a property - like a death in the property. I live on a street where a guy died in the bathtub, in August, and was unnoticed for 12 days. Did I mention it was August? Sunshine Cleaners had to come out! Hazmat suits, the works.

It sat unoccupied for 11 months then went on the market at a super deep discount - with no mention of the death. 

Another case in CO, a family bought a house at a super steep discount, only to find out from the neighbors that there was a brutal serial killer living there before, and the outbuilding was where he did his Dexter thing. Undisclosed to the out-of-town buyers.

In this case, how were the sellers to know that the stalker would continue to stalk the new owners? I am certainly not making a case for them - I think they were wrong to not disclose. But who would have bought it if they did? 

I would certainly like to see the laws changed so previous deaths in a property must be disclosed if known. In both cases above, they were known.

But how do you decide what needs to be disclosed? When in doubt, talk to the neighbors. They know everything!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you