1 house on 2 lots

2 Replies

BP. There is a property that has become available from one of the builders I do work for. It a tri-level house that sits on 2 lots in a town called flossmoor il. The owner is selling it for 235k I know I can get it down to at least 200k. Is this a good buy. My idea is to rehab the existing house and build a new house on 2nd lot. With my building performance background would do both projects with the goal of making it energy efficient. Which will perform and be a lot healthier that the average house. By me being a carpenter I could do a lot of work with my crew. I looked at what existing houses were selling for in that area and for 2 story, 4 bed and 3 bath it was selling for 245k. Would this be a good investment?

is the second lot buildable ? You need to check zoning to make sure the lot is buildable - many times a home on a double lot may encroach on the second lot, thus causing you to knock it down in order to have two buildable lots. Just because a home is on a double lot doesn't mean it's a buildable lot

Its easy to start thinking what we can or would do when it comes to lots. First you say there are two lots.

. Have you verified this with your city building, planning, assessor or civil engineering services?

. If there are two lots and the present house is sitting over both lots will you have to move the structure over onto its own lot in order to make room for a second structure on the second lot

. Are there any easements on the property or specifically on the second lot

. As mentioned is the second lot buildable? Perhaps it serves as the natural drainage for the surrounding area and therefore no building is allowed on it.

. Check with all the needed services, will the second house have sewer, water, gas, and electric available to it.

. Will building a second house on the property, the second lot as you put is be allowed as a simple approval of building plans or will it require a city council decision and vote and will your neighbors have something to say about it. Will it block someone's view and enjoyment of their present house?

. Are there protected plants, trees on the property which will not be allowed to be cut down

Typically there is allot you should research first before ever buying a property that involves a building lot to be sure you will be able to do with the property what you envision.

What does the present zoning require for a living unit. Sometimes two lots are joined in order to meet the lot size requirements for a single living unit. Maybe the zoning requires .5 acres per dwelling and there had to be 2 .25 acre lots joined to have one house 

Just research all you can with your local building and planning departments first and research and verify all you can before considering buying that property.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here