qualify buyer

3 Replies

I am selling a house... in order to ensure buyer actually qualifies for the mortgage, I typically  ask that he qualifies with my mortgage lender as well (mortgage lender is a friend of mine and I have asked him to please check in detail all income documents and bank statement before pre-qualifing my buyers)..

Buyer is a first time buyer and is a bit irrational.... does not want to do it.... he will not sign my counteroffer asking him to make this step. 

I really do not want to hold up the house for a month or 2 to then find out buyer does not qualify

I thought to stop pushing that he qualifies also with my friend, but to include a clause in the contract that within 15 days from the bringing date he needs to provide a document  stating he is conditionally approved by an underwriter. 

did anyone ever do something similar? can you share experiences? how do you ensure a buyer is qualified?

Usually before I even start to negotiate with a buyer I make sure they are approved with a lender and then once the contract is executed, within the contract it states that they have X amount of time to get fully approved in order for the deal to keep moving forward and them to not lose their EM. 

Curt Davis, Real Estate Agent in TN (#00321765)
605-310-7929

what is the X amount you useto get fully approved? 

Is 35 days reasonable?

Offer some incentive for him to get pre-qualified from your guy, like maybe you offer to pay the appraisal fee if the buyer did that. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.