Determining rental saturation of a neighborhood

5 Replies

How does one determine the rental property saturation versus homeowner occupied property of specific neighborhoods? 

@Jane George   If I'm really curious or interested about a specific neighborhood I  pull this information from the property appraisers website.

More recently I was actually investigating condos in my area although they have an HOA I still wanted to find out what was the ratio of owner occupied versus rental. Now of course in my area it could be owner occupied and still be a student that after four or five years they sell and move on.

On my property appraiser site I'm able to download sales and other criteria that I can put into a spreadsheet and do a little analysis.  The whole process actually only took about 20 minutes for 4 different areas.

What it gave me were the trends of the sales over the years for these particular units and I could see based on the address if the actual owner of the property lived at the property.

I'm not sure what other methods are out there that was just something that I thought of and I did.

This post has been removed.

@Jane George

I posted a reply earlier with a link to a sample report I pulled on Neighborhood Navigator, and for some reason my post was removed.  Not sure why - but that's the site I go to for this information.  The URL is Onboardnavigator.com

Hope this helps!

Moderators: if you remove my post - please explain why.  Thanks!

Carolyn

I use property radar in CA.  That platform will tell me owner occupied and if there is a mailing  address that doesn't match the property address.

Frank

Thank you everyone :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you