North Carolina - Property Taxes

2 Replies

I've read in these forums that in some states, investors are allowed to pay delinquent property taxes owed for a property, and eventually assume ownership of that property if the current owners don't pay their bill.  Does anyone know if this can be done in North Carolina?

There are several properties I've come across that are two or more years behind on their taxes that I would like to purchase as buy+holds.  As I've watched similar homes in the past, the properties eventually are sold through a tax auction.  However, I'd prefer to buy these outright from the current owners and avoid the hassle of an auction.

North Carolina is not a tax lien certificate state. In NC, a county can initiate a foreclosure proceeding based on delinquent county taxes. The process is similar to a deed of trust (D-T) foreclosure in many aspects.... ultimately the buyer ends up with a Commissioner's Deed (vs. a Trustee's Deed for D-T foreclosure).

See also county sites (e.g. http://dconc.gov/government/departments-f-z/tax-administration/foreclosure/property-tax-foreclosure-faq or http://www.wakegov.com/tax/realestate/foreclosures/Pages/default.aspx) for additional information and lists of properties.

Thanks, @Chris Martin .

Back to the drawing board I guess.  In these cases, I'll try to track down the heirs for one house, and the owners for the other houses.  I haven't had any luck with the six or seven letters I sent out in the past, but maybe one of these will bite.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you