Old MLS listenings

3 Replies

I have a question fellow members ..

If the MLS listing has been on the market for a while can you go to the seller directly and offer a creative deal or must you use a realtor?

I am a Realtor in Utah. From what I understand you can buy the property at anytime but if its during the agents listing period the seller is still obligated to pay the listing agents commission. As a Realtor I always propose creative options up front and sell the house through those avenues if its what makes sense for the seller but I will say most agents don't present or consider alternate options. To answer your questions though, yes but the cost of the agent is still a hurdle to your goal. 

Typically, if you can see the listing on a public facing site like Realtor.com, it's still an active listing however old.

Also, most listing agreements include a protection period (typically 1-3 months) after the listing expires that prevent the seller from making a side deal and waiting out the listing agreement.

Why do you not want to go through the listing agent?

Why do you not want to go through the listing agent?

I would go through the listing agent if that was my only option.. I just think you might have more creative financing options and terms with less fees.. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.