Time vs Money which is more valuable?

4 Replies

I just finished with a project where I had to use my plan B handyman.  He is cheaper than any reasonable contractor and is reliable.  The one draw back is that he is really really slow. If I would of paid 500-700 more I could of had a job done in hours as opposed to days.

From past experience I know you get what you pay for but the time that it cost me was frustrating.  The job looks good but I could of been on to some more lucrative things.  I would like to hear from the members what they value more.  I need to relieve some steam because that extra money I saved may not have been worth the piece of mind.

price, speed, and quality. Pick 2. For me quality can't be sacrificed, we don't slap stuff together. I need to make money so I tend to sacrifice speed of the 3. There's a line though and seems you feel he may be top slow. Try a new guy on the next small project you have. Keep a close eye on him at first. Ive been contemplating the same dilemma though as I look to scale my business up, I know I've missed out on some money myself.

Maybe you can motivate him to move faster by setting expectations better. 

To answer your question, money in infinite, time is (terrifyingly) finite. 

With that said, it's hard to find good contractors, even slow ones. I would invest in him a bit and see if you can get him ambitious about reaching goals faster. 

You made the decision when you chose the handyman.  You thought money was more valuable than time. 

Now, after the fact, you are second guessing the decision.  As in all real estate decisions, you have more information and knowledge than before.  Close wisely next time!

Time...you can always get your money back.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here