Getting significant other on board

10 Replies

I can't be the only person on here who has had a problem with getting their significant other on board with real estate investing. I'm in a situation where my wife just isn't into the idea of investing at all and would much rather just have money sitting in a bank account collecting dust. Is there anybody out there who had the same type of problem and found a good way to overcome it? I'm at the point where I want to pull the trigger on a property and my wife has flat out said she'd rather just keep the money in the bank. I have spoken with her before about how I want to invest in Real Estate and she said she was fine with the idea but now that a deal is presenting itself she is saying she doesn't want to do anything and wants to just have the money in the bank. I was thinking about going at it like I was presenting an opportunity to an investor but she is the kind of person that would fade out in about two seconds. Please help.

Have you tried putting the #'s down on paper or using BP's calculators to put together a report to show her the #'s?

Maybe go to some open houses together?  See if you can spark an interest or at least let her know it's something you're serious about.

Ok lets see if the links work.  there are 3 or 4 more articles embedded in this article as well.  

Negative energy at home

ForumsStarting OutNegative energy at home

Ok trying again 

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/12/topics/119424-negative-energy-at-home , it is not working as a link but try posting it in your URL and see if it works.

Originally posted by @Jerry W. :

Ok trying again 

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/12/topics/119424-negative-energy-at-home , it is not working as a link but try posting it in your URL and see if it works.

Thanks so much Jerry I will definitely read that info tonight when I get home!  

Originally posted by @Shane H. :

Have you tried putting the #'s down on paper or using BP's calculators to put together a report to show her the #'s?

Maybe go to some open houses together?  See if you can spark an interest or at least let her know it's something you're serious about.

Thanks Shane. That's how I was initially planning on approaching it with a BP spreadsheet and presenting the numbers but as soon as I started to talk numbers her eyes glaze over and she drifts out in about three seconds. Needless to say I handle all of the finances haha

@Jeffrey Giffin

My wife is similar, hopefully if I ever convince her to join BP and share my passion for RE she wont find this thread...ha

I probably had a leg up in that I already had one property when we got together so she's on board for more and has lived through a couple others.

Not sure how you take care of your finances - could always start your own accounts or if you have your own, simply use money out of it, forego a large purchase (upgrading the car etc)

Now might be as good as time as ever to hone your negotiation skills....Good luck!

No problem @Jerry W. ! Good stuff in those links also, thanks.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you