Purchasing Condo with LLC

1 Reply

Good day everyone,

I purchased a condo upon my graduation from college. I currently am the owner of the property and purchased it 3 years ago with the intent of it being a rental property one day. I have been paying upwards of $100 extra on my mortgage to help build equity fast. In 5 years I would like to purchase a house with my equity but also retain the property as a rental. 

My proposal is this:

I would like to establish an LLC. I want the LLC to purchase my condo, that way I can get the equity I've put into it to make a nice down payment on a new house for my family. At the same time I would be retaining the ownership of the condo which I can then rent through the LLC. 

Can anyone give me some background as to whether or not this is at all possible. What does the LLC need as a down payment on the condo (I assume 20%). Is it hard to get a loan this way? has anyone done this? 

Thank you for any replies that may come. 

Hi @Will Brown

You do not need the LLC to pull your equity out of your condo. You just have to cash-out refinance. You would still leave 20% equity in the condo because the banks want 80% LTV.

Example

Condo Market Price = $100,000
LTV of 80% = $80,000 (Market Price * 80%)

You can take out $80,000 minus what you still owe.  So if your mortgage is at $30,000 then you can take $50,000 cash.

LTV: $80,000
Debt: $30,000

LTV - Debt = $50,000.

Hope this gives you the idea. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.