Help analyze this deal please!

7 Replies

Hello Everyone!

I am hoping for a little assistance on a deal I am contemplating. Its a 2,000 sq ft double wide that was build in 1998. The mobile home is on its own lot, which is owned (not rented). The property needs the basics - cleaning, paint, flooring, appliances. Other than the superficial items - the property seems to be in decent shape.

My biggest dilemma is that I have never invested in mobile homes before. I have alway stuck to stick build SFRs. 

I think that I can pick the property up for around 25k and will need to put another 5 - 7k into it before renting it out.

I should be able to rent it for $800 - $850/month. 

What are your thoughts???

Does it have city services, or well and septic?

@Paul Crawford - It has electric, septic, and city water. The lot is about 1/2 acre with a fenced back yard. 

Originally posted by Account Closed:

@Paul Crawford - It has electric, septic, and city water. The lot is about 1/2 acre with a fenced back yard. 

What city is this in? A local realtor in the area familiar with the rental market may have some insights into what the demand for renting mobile homes might be.

Moble homes are good (dare I say great) as rentals but in my experience terrible for flips. My people in my area, Phoenix, are looking for seller finance which doesn't do in the fix/flip model.

Originally posted by @Andrew Brannick:

Moble homes are good (dare I say great) as rentals but in my experience terrible for flips. My people in my area, Phoenix, are looking for seller finance which doesn't do in the fix/flip model.

Thanks Andrew. My thought on this is buy and hold. I would like to increase my monthly cash flow. 

Also be aware that mobile homes are normally considered personal property, not real property - i.e., not "real estate".  

That means that most home lenders won't finance them. You'll need a specialty lender who will finance it with something resembling a car loan.  Talk with a mobile home dealer to see if they can recommend one.

I know yours is on owned land, but for the benefit of others, mobile homes are often placed on leased land.

Originally posted by @Charlie MacPherson :

Also be aware that mobile homes are normally considered personal property, not real property - i.e., not "real estate".  

That means that most home lenders won't finance them. You'll need a specialty lender who will finance it with something resembling a car loan.  Talk with a mobile home dealer to see if they can recommend one.

I know yours is on owned land, but for the benefit of others, mobile homes are often placed on leased land.

Charlie - that's a great point. We are not looking for financing, but I will keep that in the back of my mind for future deals.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here