Mold remediation. Joists in crawl space

1 Reply

Hey everyone.

Has anyone ever had to remediate mold on floor joists in a crawl space? I know where the moisture is coming from and how much it will be to fix that, but I'm trying to put an offer in on this tomorrow and I can't get anyone to come out for a few days.

I'm curious if anyone has had to deal with before and how they took care of it. Of course, I could put in a contingency offer with the plan to work it out after I have a contract, however, the REO market in Nashville is crazy I know someone is gonna come by without doing their due diligence and buy without looking in the crawl.

Just curious if anyone can tell me realistically how cheaply I can take care of this. I certainly understand mold is serious but I don't buy into the hype and scare about mold and know that the house does not need to be bulldozed and the rubble set on fire. Essentially, I need it to pass inspection when I turn around to sell in a few months.

Thanks!

John, I'm of the same mindset regarding mold, at least the minor situations, it's not a big deal but inspectors will note it on reports. 

After the moisture problem is fixed, a mold remediation company can essentially clean the joists to remove the surface mold and then spray with an anti microbial solution to help prevent it from coming back. They may need to replace insulation as well if it has been on contact with the mold/joists. Costs vary quite a bit depending on size of space and amount of work. It's a specialty item so it's never cheap to have done professionally.  I'd expect to pay at least $1k to several times that amount. To get an accurate figure you would need them to look at it and give you a price (but I realize you don't have they luxury now in a red hot market). Once the work is done you can provide any prospective buyers a copy of the invoice showing the work completed by a certified mold remediation company.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.