I have a call with a Lender today in about 4 hrs. from now ,
and before that call , I wanted to run by a few things with fellow members , and get there advice and knowledge on some certain things I should Ask and or expect when I talk to the Lender.
1. As stated in previous posts, this Property I am wishing to purchase is a bit of an " Out of the Box property " , in that it is being sold via a Trust and my Mom is the Trustee of the Property ( conflict in selling between seller and buyer.... due to Family ties ) ?
2. The property is in a distressed state .... needs a new Roof, painted inside and out , some Electrical work is needed, needs new appliances , new water heater and new flooring ( these are the necessary and essential thins that need and will have to be done )
now it does need a new AC unit , BUT .... I am considering just putting in 3 window units vs buying a brand new unit. There are many houses in the neighborhood that have AC units , and these houses sell and rent quite easily. The houses were all built in the 40's and 50's
Well, the seller ( Mother/Trustee ) and the buyer ( myself ) , have agreed that she will sell and I will buy the property as it currently sits ( in it's current As-Is condition ). The question with this I have is ...... I will be using a Regular FHA loan to purchase the property , and am wondering what the Lender is likely to say and offer us as options on this agreement between the two of us ? Will the Lender " likely " give me a loan on the property, knowing the needed repairs that it needs, as long as ..... we put in the contract that I will make the necessary repairs in a timely manner ( within 3 - 4 months from the time we close ) ?
My dad and myself are both Contractors ( although neither of us are liscensed ) , But I am wondering if the Lender will allow us and trust us in getting the forementioned repairs completed, by allowing us to do the work ourselves ?
3. I could do the deal as a 203K rehab, but the issue with this that I am concerned about are ..... I will be purchasing the property for whatever the appraised value of it is.... which is likely to be around $55,000 - $57,000
And I have heard that with a 203K ..... that you can only get an extra $10,000 for repairs if the property is within the $50,000 - $79,999 price range ?
4. I am assuming that if the Lender allows the seller and myself to purchase the property in it's As-In condition, with making NO repairs prior to closing..... that I will have to pay for the repairs out of my own Pocket ?
If this is so ..... Is there a way that I could get an " Added " $10,000 onto the Loan , that I can use to make some of these repairs? Maybe as a 2nd mortgage ? Escrowed ?
Thank you so much for any help and advice ,
Really appreciate it
You've been misinformed about the 203k.
You will likely not get approved for an standard FHA loan with the house being in a distressed condition.
Does the house have an existing HVAC system? i dont see why youd opt to use window units if you have existing ductwork.
With a 203k, you HAVE to be a licensed contractor to perform work that is being paid for by the 203k.
A 203k will loan you up to 110% the POST-REHAB estimated appraised value.
It sounds like a 203k is what you need to use if you do not have the funds to rehab the property.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
You must be a BiggerPockets member to post on the forums
Join the world's largest, most open Real Estate Investing Community online, 100% free forever!