I have a call with a Lender today in about 4 hrs. from now ,
and before that call , I wanted to run by a few things with fellow members , and get there advice and knowledge on some certain things I should Ask and or expect when I talk to the Lender.
1. As stated in previous posts, this Property I am wishing to purchase is a bit of an " Out of the Box property " , in that it is being sold via a Trust and my Mom is the Trustee of the Property ( conflict in selling between seller and buyer.... due to Family ties ) ?
2. The property is in a distressed state .... needs a new Roof, painted inside and out , some Electrical work is needed, needs new appliances , new water heater and new flooring ( these are the necessary and essential thins that need and will have to be done )
now it does need a new AC unit , BUT .... I am considering just putting in 3 window units vs buying a brand new unit. There are many houses in the neighborhood that have AC units , and these houses sell and rent quite easily. The houses were all built in the 40's and 50's
Well, the seller ( Mother/Trustee ) and the buyer ( myself ) , have agreed that she will sell and I will buy the property as it currently sits ( in it's current As-Is condition ). The question with this I have is ...... I will be using a Regular FHA loan to purchase the property , and am wondering what the Lender is likely to say and offer us as options on this agreement between the two of us ? Will the Lender " likely " give me a loan on the property, knowing the needed repairs that it needs, as long as ..... we put in the contract that I will make the necessary repairs in a timely manner ( within 3 - 4 months from the time we close ) ?
My dad and myself are both Contractors ( although neither of us are liscensed ) , But I am wondering if the Lender will allow us and trust us in getting the forementioned repairs completed, by allowing us to do the work ourselves ?
3. I could do the deal as a 203K rehab, but the issue with this that I am concerned about are ..... I will be purchasing the property for whatever the appraised value of it is.... which is likely to be around $55,000 - $57,000
And I have heard that with a 203K ..... that you can only get an extra $10,000 for repairs if the property is within the $50,000 - $79,999 price range ?
4. I am assuming that if the Lender allows the seller and myself to purchase the property in it's As-In condition, with making NO repairs prior to closing..... that I will have to pay for the repairs out of my own Pocket ?
If this is so ..... Is there a way that I could get an " Added " $10,000 onto the Loan , that I can use to make some of these repairs? Maybe as a 2nd mortgage ? Escrowed ?
Thank you so much for any help and advice ,
Really appreciate it
You've been misinformed about the 203k.
You will likely not get approved for an standard FHA loan with the house being in a distressed condition.
Does the house have an existing HVAC system? i dont see why youd opt to use window units if you have existing ductwork.
With a 203k, you HAVE to be a licensed contractor to perform work that is being paid for by the 203k.
A 203k will loan you up to 110% the POST-REHAB estimated appraised value.
It sounds like a 203k is what you need to use if you do not have the funds to rehab the property.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community
Basic membership is free, forever.