• Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
Votes |
Appraisal question

Karen Margrave
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
ModeratorPosted Aug 8 2015, 09:04

Knowing there are appraisers from southern California and other areas on here, I wanted to pick your brains. 

We are completing a new house in San Clemente, CA. 3045 sq. ft., 4 Bdrm 3 Bath, 3 Ocean view decks, 2 Loft spaces. It's built on a large lot, with panoramic ocean views, on the beach side of the freeway, close to the new San Clemente Outlets, and within blocks to Metrolink/Amtrak stations. It's a perfect house for a family home of vacation rental. Also, Taylor Morrison is doing a big subdivision with homes that will be priced from townhomes at $1,000,000 to several million within a few blocks of our house. It's a PUD, and will have HOA fees, etc., as well as offer community amenities.

The neighborhood is an older established neighborhood. Next door is a vacant lot where the owner is going to be building a 4000 sq. ft. house. and a few lots down another new house of around 3400 sq. ft. is going in, the rest of the neighborhood are homes 30 years old. A plus is that there are no HOA fees, or Mello Roos.

The problem for us is there are no good comps in north San Clemente, on the ocean side of the freeway. 

QUESTIONS: 

• There are several high dollar sales on the east side of the freeway, that are in PUD with HOA fees, etc. How does an appraiser factor in the difference between the two locations? Can we use those as comps?
  • When in an established neighborhood and being the first one in with new construction, how do appraisers determine values? 

Any information will be greatly appreciated. I know we will probably need to get an actual appraisal, but trying to get myself educated first 

Thank you! Here's the house. 

keywords: appraiser, orange county, southern california, 

Loading replies...