Appraisal question

2 Replies

Knowing there are appraisers from southern California and other areas on here, I wanted to pick your brains. 

We are completing a new house in San Clemente, CA. 3045 sq. ft., 4 Bdrm 3 Bath, 3 Ocean view decks, 2 Loft spaces. It's built on a large lot, with panoramic ocean views, on the beach side of the freeway, close to the new San Clemente Outlets, and within blocks to Metrolink/Amtrak stations. It's a perfect house for a family home of vacation rental. Also, Taylor Morrison is doing a big subdivision with homes that will be priced from townhomes at $1,000,000 to several million within a few blocks of our house. It's a PUD, and will have HOA fees, etc., as well as offer community amenities.

The neighborhood is an older established neighborhood. Next door is a vacant lot where the owner is going to be building a 4000 sq. ft. house. and a few lots down another new house of around 3400 sq. ft. is going in, the rest of the neighborhood are homes 30 years old. A plus is that there are no HOA fees, or Mello Roos.

The problem for us is there are no good comps in north San Clemente, on the ocean side of the freeway. 

QUESTIONS: 

• There are several high dollar sales on the east side of the freeway, that are in PUD with HOA fees, etc. How does an appraiser factor in the difference between the two locations? Can we use those as comps?
  • When in an established neighborhood and being the first one in with new construction, how do appraisers determine values? 

Any information will be greatly appreciated. I know we will probably need to get an actual appraisal, but trying to get myself educated first 

Thank you! Here's the house. 

keywords: appraiser, orange county, southern california, 

Karen, I see no one has bitten yet, hopefully you'll get a local appraiser to comment.

Generally, the first few sales in a new subdivision will fall short of mature established areas, there are risks of development failing and being completed, for one thing.

Another side of town, within 5 miles, will usually meet distance guidelines, within 3 miles is is the goal and much better. 

Adjustments as to location are shown in the market, an appraiser can see the activity levels, price differences and marketing times for similar dwellings and may adjust accordingly. 

Appraising is an art as well as a science, beauty is in the experienced eye of the beholder. :) 

I know there's a few appraisers, on here that are in Orange County, but haven't seen them on in awhile. 

@Peter Hanson

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here