What bank has the mortgage?

4 Replies

I'm looking for a little direction. . .  I noticed a home when looking for my current home that was in a very good neighborhood, but is in complete disrepair.  I have recently done some research and found who the owners are and that they no longer liver there.  I believe there is a bankruptcy involved.  Is there a way to find out which bank has the mortgage without trying to reach out to the owner?  I live in Maine.

hi dan. i have run into similar situations here in the buffalo, ny area. basically, i go to the county records office and look up the recent info on the house. if there is a bank mortgage on it, they have to file paperwork with the county to register the lien on the deed. the most recent paperwork is likely your bank you will want to deal with. sometimes, neighbors know more than you think they do, so start knocking on doors too

Probably, but it doesn't matter.  Apparently the owner still owns it, not the bank.

ah, yes, the owner still owns it until the bank forecloses, then it is a different deal. of course, at this point, you can probably deal with the owner and stop the foreclosure, but is that the best deal? the owner moved away from it for a reason and that reason is likely that there was more owed to the bank than what it is worth. here is a couple of ideas on finding the owner. one, check the county records for any other houses in the nearby area that are in that owners name. two, he moved somewhere, google his name. last effort, send a letter to the address in question. if he moved, he filed a change of address somewhere and you will be notified

Thanks!  It looks like they moved out over a year ago.  I do have the name of the owners or at least who last owned the house . . .  I will try to the county records route.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.