Kansas City, Kansas Area

7 Replies

For those of you that buy and hold houses in Kansas City, Kansas, what areas of KCK do you invest in?  I have only invested in the Missouri side so far as that is the area that I am familiar with.  What areas in KCK would you say are similar to Grandview/South KC in terms of neighborhoods/streets?

I would like to start investing there, but want to make sure I am staying out of the war zones and investing in decent C neighborhoods.

Thanks in Advance!

For something similar to Grandview I'd go with the western part of the county (west of 78th St) or the Turner area. If you want to grab lunch sometime I can go over more specifics with you. I'm a life-long 'Dotte and have been studying the market here pretty closely for some time.

@Jim Viens -Thanks for the suggestions!  This definitely helps a lot.  I am definitely up for treating you to lunch to pick your brain on the area.  

Thanks again!

Originally posted by @Brady Hanna :

For those of you that buy and hold houses in Kansas City, Kansas, what areas of KCK do you invest in?  I have only invested in the Missouri side so far as that is the area that I am familiar with.  What areas in KCK would you say are similar to Grandview/South KC in terms of neighborhoods/streets?

I would like to start investing there, but want to make sure I am staying out of the war zones and investing in decent C neighborhoods.

Thanks in Advance!

I lived the first 31 years of my life in KCK. I lived in houses all the way from the hood to the suburbs, so I know the area pretty well. 

I would stay away from areas east of I-635. Even west of that, there are some rough areas as well. The exception to that would be near KU medical center in Rosedale. That area is very near Westport and the Country Club Plaza. I am betting that the area will be extremely hot one day. Even now, the housing stock sells for much more than similar housing in other parts of KCK.

I would prefer investing North of I-70 and west of Kansas City Kansas Community College. If you go further west past I-435, properties generally cost much more because there is a much better school district. If you are looking for A class properties, look in the areas with the Piper school district. 

@Anthony Gayden -Thanks for the advice!  I really like the Rosedale area also and think it is definitely an up and coming area, I just hate the rent to purchase ratio there.  I will have to keep my eye out west of KCK Community College.  

@Anthony Gayden -Thanks for the advice!  I really like the Rosedale area also and think it is definitely an up and coming area, I just hate the rent to purchase ratio there.  I will have to keep my eye out west of KCK Community College.  

I like that area too, especially Rosedale BBQ and Ponak's :) 

What is the deal with the rent to purchase ratio is it basically still lagging a lot? i.e. rents haven't caught up to property prices? How would it compare to say Crossroads or Westport in general?

Originally posted by @John C. :
Originally posted by @Brady Hanna:

@Anthony Gayden-Thanks for the advice!  I really like the Rosedale area also and think it is definitely an up and coming area, I just hate the rent to purchase ratio there.  I will have to keep my eye out west of KCK Community College.  

I like that area too, especially Rosedale BBQ and Ponak's :) 

What is the deal with the rent to purchase ratio is it basically still lagging a lot? i.e. rents haven't caught up to property prices? How would it compare to say Crossroads or Westport in general?

Basically, you aren't going to be getting 2% deals in that area. In other parts of KCK a landlord can get much better cash flow and 2% deals, but because that area is close to the Plaza/Westport areas, the properties cost a little more (though still less than housing actually in the Plaza/Westport neighborhoods of KCMO), meanwhile they rent for about the same. 

Thanks in Advance!

I recently got access to some off market cashflowing rentals in the Kansas City area. I am learning the area myself. Seems like a decent place to buy and hold although deals maybe a bit tricky to find. But we are savvy investors on BP we can overcome anything :) anyway if you would like to take a look at my property list drop me a line. Happy investing.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.