Violations on property in Tamarac Florida

4 Replies

Hi everyone,

Well, I bought my first house in Tamarac Florida in March and it had no violations, but I live in Baltimore, Md but have 2 partners in Florida. Then I received a letter in June stating that I had some violations. I called the Inspector in charge and he tells me that according to his pictures, and comparing them from March to May,  I have done some work like front porch overhang and some kitchen remolding without permit, and that I have the outlets not in the proper place and they need to inspect the structure of the overhang so I need a structural and electrical engineer. Ok, so this is the problem. I bought the house with the overhang already and the kitchen has not been remolded at all and it is a mess. So obviously he is making it up. Then he tells me that if the past owners did it then unfortunately it slipped through the cracks and now I have to pay for it. Well, I have pictures on how I bought the house and it still has not been fixed and he would like to come and look at the house but I don't trust him and he works for the violation department.  What can I do? He knows I am the owner and investor and that I live in Baltimore. 

Unfortunately you should contact legal counsel and explain the issue.

The inspector may have the authority to seek an "Inspection Warrant" in Florida
see Florida Statute 933.22 but they have to meet certain requirements.  I would inform
the inspector that No work has been performed since you purchased the property.

Additionally inform them that you will abide by all building codes, regulations and obtain all necessary building permits for all work that is planned on the property.

@Jacqueline Gonzalez Welcome to BP! I have heard dozens of recent stories throughout Broward county similar to yours.. The inspectors are really buckling down for money and violations. Unfortunately, there is little you can do since you are the owner. If you need any help in Florida I own a brokerage and know several good resources.

Hello Jaqueline,

The following company is specialized in clearing up code violations. They have engineers and are also contractors in South Florida. At the very least they can advice you on what to do next. 

Call: Aruba Services, PH 954-786-7292 Talk to Amanda  

e-mail: [email protected]


Good luck,


Thank you for the response. I am working on this situation

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here