Lease Purchase Option Contract Ohio

8 Replies

I have a buyer for my FSBO. They will rent for 6 months and then purchase. Asking all BP buddies if you have an approved Ohio Lease Option Form can you please share.

I am in Mansfield Ohio if there are any fellow BP friends that would like to hook up.

Have a good day,

Karen

@Karen Moysi

1. -2 seperate agreements with escrow instructions.
  2. -Lease for Ohio for 6 months.
  3. -Sale and Purchase with 3% Earnest money.
  4. -Escrow instructions to either close on delayed S and P or cancel agreement and keep 3%.

Brian Gibbons

@Karen Moysi

You could draw it up a variety of ways. This isn't really the sort of spot I'd recommend you use a "form". You especially want to be sure that you structure this carefully because in the event the tenant buyer goes delinquent you'd much rather be performing an eviction instead of a foreclosure to get possession of the property back. Ohio law draws a pretty clear bright line that says land contract vendees must be foreclosed upon and not evicted if they've paid 20% of the purchase price OR paid for 5 years on the contract. Still, you don't want to risk an error with the structure of this contract and find that a judge interprets the situation to your detriment.

That said, Brian Gibbons has offered you a blue print that sounds pretty good to me.

Timothy Murphy III, Real Estate Agent in OH (#SAL.2016005240)

@Timothy Murphy III

In general buying on land contract is wonderful and selling on land contract is complicated

I love the five year 20% rule

Lease purchase when selling and getting 3% down with a lease of six months and a carefully crafted delayed sale and purchase agreement I think is the strongest possible protection for the seller in case the tenant does not perform and get the mortgage

Brian Gibbons

I like the concept.

Immediate cash flow to cover your note in the meantime, a health (but not excessive) amount as non refundable option consideration / earnest money / etc., and a six month window for the tenant buyer to actually get the financing worked out.

Timothy Murphy III, Real Estate Agent in OH (#SAL.2016005240)

Originally posted by @Brian Gibbons :

@Timothy Murphy III

In general buying on land contract is wonderful and selling on land contract is complicated

I love the five year 20% rule

Lease purchase when selling and getting 3% down with a lease of six months and a carefully crafted delayed sale and purchase agreement I think is the strongest possible protection for the seller in case the tenant does not perform and get the mortgage

Greetings of Peace Brian Gibbons,

Are you saying that a "delayed sale and purchase agreement" is what I need to have in my possession for a Lease Purchase deal in the state of Ohio?

Thanks for the Response!

Hello all,  I'm in pursuit of buying a cash performing commercial piece of property in Ohio.  A possible lender has mentioned, "refundable escrow option."  could someone clarify. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.