Owner Under Water - Options?

2 Replies

Owner is selling his motorcycle to pay the mortgage due to wifes medical bills. He is married, employed, and has a couple of children. Before I contact the owner, I would like some feedback from the BP community on how to approach him. Ideally, I would like to keep him in the home and originate a new note. Here is what I've considered so far under the assumption they are close to foreclosure:

-Ask to buy property outright, originate new note with significantly lower monthly payment. (Assuming the numbers work)

-Inquire with bank about their willingness to sell current note (depending on performance) at a discount. Originate new note.

Cheers,

Austin

Really surprised to see no responses. Is this not something commonly done by BP members?

Hi Austin,

Without the numbers, it is hard to suggest a course of action. If the house is underwater, you will need to do a short sale, otherwise you are just inhereting negative equity. Also, keeping the homeowner which has defaulted on the current mortgage in the home is generally a very bad idea, even if you're only holding the paper. While it is true that unfortunate things happen to good people, you want a tenant/owner in the property that can weather the storm and avoid default. 

Once you have additional info, feel free to post and i will toss in my .02

-Christopher

Christopher Brainard, Real Estate Agent in NV (#177490)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.