My deal closed, but the headaches just started!!

4 Replies

It’s a fun learning process, but man oh man!  You better have some cushion for expenses... Remember me!  The one that got her copper pipes yanked out a day before closing.  Well, the plumbing is done ($1500), remember it was an oil furnace (more copper), well the oil was converted to gas $3,500 w/labor and units Sep. metered. None of this was planned for. 

On the bright side..... I just posted the rental and I might have done it prematurely, because I'm getting hits like crazy and the contractor is still doing lead abatement. I should have the property ready in 2 weeks to view. So, that's what I'm telling potential renters.

Putting the cart before the horse I guess. I'm learning sooooo much and thankfully I had a cushion of cash because I would be stuck on stupid right now.

Oh two great stores I learned about in the Baltimore area:  2nd change and loading dock.  You can really get some good used stuff and a decent price.

Sorry to ramble... numbers, numbers, do the dang numbers! Not sure how I'm going to get to the next deal. I can't refinance this duplex for 3 years and I'm close to FMV.

Thanks for sharing. Having reserves is critical to long term success.

Yes you learn a ton on your first deal. Yes reserves are critical. It always takes more money than you think getting a "Rent ready" house actually ready to rent

@Kimberly H.  Thanks for sharing.  You seem to be taking it all in very well.  You are learning a new set of skills that will benefit you for the rest of your life.  There will be struggle, there will be prosperity.

Why can't you refi for 3 years?

Originally posted by @Dana Whicker :

@Kimberly Harrell  Thanks for sharing.  You seem to be taking it all in very well.  You are learning a new set of skills that will benefit you for the rest of your life.  There will be struggle, there will be prosperity.

Why can't you refi for 3 years?

I got a healthy neighborhood loan.  3% down/ower occupancy/no pmi with renovation wrapped in conventional loan. One of the requirements is no refi for 3 yrs.

http://www.healthyneighborhoods.org/buyandrenovate...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here