Is Realtor.com really stupid or am I missing something?

8 Replies

I have been trying to figure out how to do a keyword search on Realtor.com. When it says, signup to see your searches and favorite homes, I thought maybe if I signup, I can do keyword searches. I signed up and still cant do any keyword searches. If all you can do is  search by city, I seriously think they shouldnt be in business anymore. LOL. 

Is there any other site that allows keyword search of MLS listings? I know zillow has that option but the MLS listings are not updated there fast enough or sometimes not at all.

You could ask a real estate salesperson to help you with these kind of searches. The MLS is a subscription service ... and realtor.com is their retail service front-end. It isn't designed to facilitate investor research.

@Kumar Chin I just checked out Realtor.com as I hadn't been on there for quite sometime. It seems that they operate with lots of search filters rather than keywords. They do have many filters so it's fairly easy to narrow down your search. If you click on the filters at the top of the page you will see all the features and you can add more features if you want.

I hope this helps and good luck with your searching.

Many MLS operate their own public facing website. Found this one for NC -- though I'm not sure you were looking in your backyard or not.

http://www.carolinahome.com/findahome.aspx

Keyword searches on the MLS are usually for searching the public text remarks and not fields that are stored in a specific field (e.g. REO, sewer type, etc.)

Thanks for the feedback guys. Phil, I have been using Carolinahome.com for Charlotte market. I needed to cover the surrounding markets like Raleigh, Greenville and Atlanta. 

In most cases Jeremy Pace is correct in his posting that a real estate agent would be able to setup a keyword based MLS search for you. I can do this for you for Raleigh and the surrounding Triangle cities, but not outside of that area.

Jonathan Taylor Smith, Real Estate Agent in NC (#285033)
(844) YES-BLUE

For TMLS (Triangle area), try for example http://realestate.luxurymovers.com/search-city.php I have no affiliation with this site. If you look around, there are other similar MLS front end sites, but regarding "...other site that allows keyword search of MLS listings..." you will need a broker with MLS access (e.g. a Realtor) to search the broker only comments section.

Try this search in google.  Of course change handyman to your desired search term.  Not sure how often google crawls realtor.com so not sure how timely the info is.

site:realtor.com handyman

Redfin.com covers Atlanta and Raleigh and they allow keyword searches of the remarks.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.